As any good copywriter will know, your headline is your shop window to the rest of your writing and the first impression that you will make on any prospective reader. If you want to entice your audience, a compelling headline is critical but then, of course, you have to make sure that your following content is of high enough quality to convert your browser into a reader.
Keep any headline short, clear and direct. If you can do it in 5 words, so much the better! Make any headline relevant to the content that follows and convey your message with confidence. Add persuasive adjectives or powerful words such as ‘fast’, ‘easy’, ‘new’ or even ‘free’.
If you find it difficult to create a magnetic headline here are a few formulas that you could try:
- The secret to… This is a good headline because people are always intrigued as to what the secret is that you are potentially letting them in on.
- 5 Top Tips for… Lists of top tips are always popular.
- How to… People love to find out “how” to do things.
- Now you can have… This promises something your reader may want.
- Everything you need to know about… Combine what the reader is interested in with an outcome that they want.
These are just suggestions to get you started if you are having trouble thinking of a good headline. If you can grab your reader’s attention you will hopefully lure them to continue on into the body of the text.
By the way, I apologise for luring you in to read this post with my compelling headline ‘Beer and Naked Women’!